Have you heard of Colloidal Silver? If you are on the lookout for alternative therapies to fight infection (sinus infection or a cold), this is one to check out and add to your medicine cabinet.
What Is Colloidal Silver?
Colloidal Silver consists of microscopic particles of pure, elemental silver suspended in water, with no other elements present. It is an effective antibiotic, antifungal and antiviral and works on a wide variety of organisms including fungi, viruses, and many bacteria as well as some parasites. Its use as a natural antibiotic began long before modern medicine and continued all the way until the 1940’s when synthetic antibiotics were developed. It is permitted by FDA because it is grandfathered in before they began regulating such products around 1930, or more than 80 years ago.
Advantages Of Colloidal Silver
When used properly, Colloidal Silver has a number of advantages over most other anti-infection agents. This is in stark contrast to most antibiotics and other anti-infection drugs that are far more costly, extremely toxic in many cases, and often cause the development of resistant bacteria and viruses. However, like all products, it should be of good quality and used in moderation. Some of the many benefits are:
- Safe, low-cost alternative to antibiotics
- Bacteria and viruses rarely become immune or resistant to it, unlike the modern prescription antibiotics. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that each year in the United States, at least 2 million people become infected with bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics, and at least 23,000 people die each year as a direct result of these infections.
- It works on a wide spectrum of infections. This means it can help reduce many bacterial, viral, and fungal infections, and even parasitic infections.
- Non-allergenic and extremely mild or non-irritating to the tissues. In fact, silver in this form is healing to the tissues.
- A natural anti–inflammatory, it works fast to reduce swelling and repair inflammation in the skin or in the body.
Colloidal Silver Uses
Colloidal Silver can be used in dozens of ways for minor topical issues, but please know that it should not replace doctors for injuries and anything that could be potentially life-threatening. This list in no way should be construed or relied upon as medical advice. Always consult your health care professional if a serious condition exists.
- Soothe minor cuts, scrapes and abrasions and burns
- Relieve insect bites and bruises
- Skin conditions such as acne, eczema, psoriasis, athlete’s foot, herpes, and shingles
- Fight colds, viruses, and even the flu
- Can aid in battling infections, such as herpes and yeast infections
- Battle respiratory infections such as sinusitis, bronchitis, pneumonia or pleurisy
- Helps with ear aches/infections, allergies, indigestion
- Reverse and/or prevent gum disease, tooth and gum infections
- Fight eye infections, such as pinkeye and sties
Topical use – It can be applied to any rash, infection, cut, bruise or other skin condition. It can be applied directly to the skin, a drop in the ear, and some people even use a drop in the eyes if needed, although I do not have experience with this usage.
Oral use – For minor infections, 2-3 days is usually sufficient while for acute infections, usually 5 or 6 days is enough. With parasitic infestations, one may have to take it for about 2-3 weeks so that it is available during all reproductive stages or cycle of the parasite. The dosage depends on the age and weight of the person and on the strength of the preparation of Colloidal Silver. It has almost no taste at all, but be sure to take it alone, not diluted, and do not eat or drink for about 30 minutes before or after taking it. This helps it to be absorbed best.
Inhalation – Colloidal Silver can be inhaled into the lungs and bronchial tubes to aid respiratory problems. To do this, you will need to buy or place some of it in a spray bottle. Hold the spray bottle in front of your open mouth. Exhale deeply, and then inhale through your mouth. As you inhale, spray some into your mouth at the same time. It is quite non-irritating taken this way. Another way is to use a nebulizer.
Using in the nose – Sniff some up the nose for acute sinus infections. Place some in the palm of your hand, and then sniff it up the nose or make into a nasal spray. Or add a few drops of silver in a “neti pot” or by applying directly into your nasal cavity and letting it drain down your throat by tilting your head back.
For a toothache – Place some in the mouth near an infected tooth and let it soak in around the tooth. This is not a substitute for caring for your teeth properly, but it can help in an emergency.
Gargle – Gargle it in the throat for a sore throat.
Soaking – For toenail or fingernail fungi or other infections conditions, soak that part of the body in a small amount of Colloidal Silver.
Cautions With Colloidal Silver
Most health food stores and pharmacies will have colloidal silver. The brands I recommend are Endo-Met Laboratories (if you have a client account) or the Sovereign Silver brand, either of which are a very safe dilution.
Long-term, inappropriate exposure to silver dust or the element of silver can cause discoloration of the skin, turning it a blue-gray color. This is called Argyria. Typically, a person would use colloidal silver a few days but no more than 2-3 weeks, depending on the reason for taking it. However, some people like it so much they want to live on it, but this is not recommended.
Do not use home-made Colloidal Silver, if possible. The problem with almost all home-made silver products is the particle size cannot be controlled. As a result, while some are the correct size, larger particles are also present that are more toxic and less effective.
Do not refrigerate the product and do not leave it near a large electrical field such as a motor, television set, computer or another electrical device. This is because Colloidal Silver consists of electrically charged particles. Storing it near a large electrical field could discharge the particles somewhat, making it less effective.
Do you use Colloidal Silver? I’m interested in hearing how it has worked for you.
- Antibiotic Resistance Threats in the United States, 2013
- Colloidal silver: a novel treatment for Staphylococcus aureus biofilms?